Trash can on fire at Cottonwood Heights home safely extinguished
Nov 26, 2022, 4:59 PM | Updated: Nov 28, 2022, 11:01 am
(Scott G Winterton, Deseret News)
SALT LAKE CITY — Mountain Green Fire Protection District said neighbors reported a burning trash can next to a home in the Cottonwoods on Nov. 25.
Around 7:20 p.m. neighbors made the report and moved the trash can into a vacant lot before Mountain Green volunteer firefighters extinguished the fire. Furthermore, the neighbors reported hearing a car noise and a “bang,” like fireworks. The neighbor’s son then looked out the window and saw the fire.
According to Mountain Green Fire Protection District, a similar fire occurred at the neighbor’s address a year ago over Thanksgiving weekend, causing some suspicion.
The Mountain Green Fire Marshal is investigating the incident.
Following putting out the trash can fire, firefighters returned to see smoke in the cabin of their fire engine. However, speedy action by Lieutenant Tyler Nielsen and Firefighter 2’s Doug Dingman, Amberlee Whitemyer and Corey Caple, extinguished the fire.
Remember to keep trash cans at a distance from your home. If you store your trash bins in your garage, discard batteries safely and separately. Also, do not discard ignition sources, such as warm fireplace ashes.
- Case of Jacob City Fire suspect dismissed
- Kaysville house fire started in dryer, emergency officials say