Deadline for REAL ID-compliant license, ID card, extended to 2025
SALT LAKE CITY — U.S. states and residents will have two more years before REAL ID is fully enforced at airports. In an announcement on Monday, the Department of Homeland Security notes that backlogs at state driver’s license commissions, related to the global COVID-19 pandemic, are behind the delay.
REAL ID was established by Congress in 2005. It creates minimum security standards for state-issued driver’s licenses and identification cards. By the new deadline, May 3, 2025, these identification cards must include anti-counterfeiting technology among other advances.
“DHS continues to work closely with U.S. states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories to meet REAL ID requirements,” said Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro N. Mayorkas.
“This extension will give states needed time to ensure their residents can obtain a REAL ID-compliant license or identification card. DHS will also use this time to implement innovations to make the process more efficient and accessible. We will continue to ensure that the American public can travel safely.”
According to the Transportation Security Agency (TSA) when the program is fully enforceable, every traveler over age 18 will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or identification card to pass through airport security for domestic air travel.
Our previous reporting:
- Your driver’s license needs this if you want to fly in the next year
- Thousands of Gold Star IDs returned to DPS. Is yours one of them?
- Utah lawmaker rushing to fix ID problem
Today’s Top Stories
- Wildlife officials, troopers, maneuver large herd of elk away from I-80
- Suspects in custody, lockdown lifted after shots fired at Taylorsville High
- Pedestrian hit and killed by UTA Frontrunner
- Large sinkhole shuts down portion of westbound 1500 North in Lehi
- Teachers at West High School walkout in of protest H.B. 215
- Bystander finds dead body in Salt Lake foothills above Beck Street
- Investigation of fatal accident at Provo airport includes witness statements
- ChatGPT: Plagiarism super-tool for students or AI brainstorming generator?
- Get Ready for Fun at the 2023 Bear Lake Monster Winterfest
- Utah, Salt Lake leaders unveil new plans to improve the struggling Great Salt Lake