CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Standoff on I-15 in southern Utah ends with two in custody
Dec 31, 2022, 7:53 PM
(Laura Seitz/Deseret News)
IRON COUNTY, Utah — Two people are in custody Saturday evening after a standoff in Iron County forced the closure of I-15 in both directions for a time.
According to the Utah Highway Patrol, a stolen Lamborghini out of Las Vegas was stopped at milepost 52 on northbound I-15. The dealership the vehicle was taken from was using technology inside the vehicle to track it.
The UHP was informed the individuals in the vehicle were potentially armed and dangerous. As a result, the Iron County Metro SWAT team, and the Department of Public Safety helicopter were called in to assist with the stop.
UHP troopers performed a high risk stop. A male and female inside the vehicle were ordered out of the vehicle. However, both were non-compliant and refused to exist the vehicle.
The UHP says eventually the two occupants exited the vehicle but continued to be non-compliant. The Iron County Metro SWAT team used a taser to take the male suspect into custody.
It’s unclear how the female was taken into custody. The UHP told KSL NewsRadio that only the male suspect was tasered. However, both are in police custody.
The I-15 has since reopened in both directions.
- Police standoff in West Bountiful ends peacefully, suspect surrenders
- Active gunman on I-15 near Beaver in custody after standoff
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Candidates starting to line up as potential replacement for Rep. Stewart
- SLC Ballpark ‘Next Design’ competition winners announced
- Becky Edwards announces her intent to run to represent Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- Here’s how Utah’s 4 congressmen voted on the debt ceiling bill
- Congressman Chris Stewart announces resignation
- U of U Health, Regence insurance warn they may not reach a contract
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- Woman barricades herself inside West Jordan home, then arrested
- Sen. Lee says he will vote no on debt ceiling agreement
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows