Utah senator backs bill to legalize tests that detect fentanyl
SALT LAKE CITY — A Utah state senator is introducing a bill to legalize the test strips used to check for fentanyl. However, the test strips are considered drug paraphernalia under Utah law.
But Dr. Jennifer Plumb, a new state senator, argues people need to know the danger. Plumb said opponents argue the bill sends a message its ok to use drugs.
“I always just reframe it as, ‘No, its ok for you to stay alive.'”
According to Plumb, the synthetic opioid is often found in drugs sold illegally as something else.
Drugs sold on the street often contain fentanyl, whether they buyer thinks that’s what they’re getting or not. That’s why Plumb, is sponsoring a bill to legalize the test strips used to detect fentanyl.
The state legislator is backing a bill to make it easier to test those drugs and potentially save lives. Plumb was a leader in the effort to make the anti-overdose drug Narcan legal and available in Utah.
Plumb said the idea gained support from law enforcement and drug treatment communities. The bill will be introduced in the upcoming legislative session.
- 10-month old survives fentanyl overdose, father arrested
- Utah officials decry the dangers of new “rainbow” fentanyl
- Summit County authorities issue public safety alert after Fentanyl is found
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Hunter High and Hunter Elementary Schools on lockout
- Full-sized Target coming to former Dillard’s at Provo’s Towne Centre
- Home schools and micro-schooling defined under new Utah bill
- Biden to test run his reelection message in his first State of the Union to a divided Congress
- Utah hasn’t had this much snowfall since 2011, according to NWS
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Winning over Americans? Poll says President Biden has work to do
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Salt Lake City police arrest man after road rage incident, involving a gun