CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Off-duty officer with Salt Lake City Police arrested
Jan 14, 2023, 5:24 PM | Updated: 6:01 pm
(Salt Lake City Police Department)
SALT LAKE CITY — On December 30, 2022, Odgen Police arrested an individual driving under the influence who is an officer at the Salt lake City Police Department.
The individual, Thomas Caygle, is 37 years old.
An officer with Riverdale PD who assisted with the incident said Caygle crashed his truck into another vehicle. After both vehicles moved off the roadway, an argument began.
“Thomas and the other driver began to argue at which point witnesses say Thomas got into his truck, put the truck in drive and drove into the rear of the vehicle, pinning the other driver’s legs between his truck and the other vehicle,” said the document.
The victim was transported to the hospital.
According to witnesses, Caygles’ breath smelled of alcohol, he slurred speech and had difficulty balancing. Caygle admitted to consuming alcohol prior to the accident.
Furthermore, he failed the HGN, Nine Step Walk, and Turn tests. Caygle was booked into Weber County Jail.
A release from SLCPD said they immediately placed the officer on administrative leave and opened an internal investigation.
“Our community expects the very best of its police officers at all times, including when off-duty and on personal time. We strive to exceed those expectations every day. In reviewing the information and materials I’ve received so far, I am concerned and disappointed by this incident, which does not align with our core values and expectations. Following the conclusion of our internal investigation, any violation of department policy will result in prompt and full accountability,” said SLCPD Chief Mike Brown.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Two people killed in road rage crash near Eagle Mountain are identified
- Suspect killed, Ogden police officer stable after officer-involved shooting
- Utah will loan first-time homebuyers $20,000 for new homes
- Kouri Richins family satisfied with partial gag order issued in case, says spokesman
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Weber, Box Elder, Davis, Tooele counties
- Boats returning to the Great Salt Lake Marina
- Man urges pet owners to be cautious around rivers after Oliver the dog was swept away
- Boppy Newborn Lounger pillow blamed in more infant deaths
- Multiple leads being followed up on after motorcyclist shot at passenger car, victim is stable