UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY
USU grad files lawsuit against university for racist caricature
Mar 21, 2023, 7:00 PM
(Mike DeBernardo, Deseret News)
SALT LAKE CITY — A Utah State University grad filed a lawsuit against the school after he said his professor drew a racially inappropriate caricature of him and claims the school did little to investigate.
Greg Noel graduated in 2020. Noel said he made the report in 2020 and felt that the university brushed it aside.
Noel is of Haitian heritage and said when he and his classmates saw the sketch, they immediately knew it was supposed to be him.
According to Noel, it had exaggerated features that highlighted his afro and eyebrows.
He reported this, and other incidents, against the professor after he felt racially singled out. But according to him, nothing was done.
In a statement, USU said when the complaint was made, it followed its non-discrimination policy to reach its conclusion.
In its statement, USU said it addressed the issue one on one with Noel. The university said it provided supportive measures and hearing his concerns. The university said it approaches each claim individually and aims to provide a fair and respectful process for all parties. USU has strongly refuted Noel’s claims that he was largely ignored.
- Leadership change announced at Utah State University
- Utah State University to help develop battery-powered train
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- Parts of Utah experienced a severe thunderstorm, Pride Festival back on
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Landspout forms over Salt Lake County. Here’s how that differs from a tornado
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- Church announces sites for three previously announced temples
- Wildlife officials trying to trap bear after it approached a tent above Bountiful