OUTDOORS + RECREATION
Two recovering after avalanche rescue in Morgan County
Mar 28, 2023, 3:05 PM | Updated: 7:13 pm
(Alston Crosby/KSL TV)
MORGAN, Utah — Two people are recovering after their snowcat was caught in an avalanche Tuesday afternoon in the area of Gold Ridge in Morgan County.
According to Morgan County Fire officials, seven people had been riding two snowcats when the avalanche hit around 12:30 p.m. The avalanche injured two people, including the entrapment of one person.
One of the snowcats, carrying two people, got stuck in the snow.
One of the riders was able to dig themselves out. However, it took two hours for rescuers to get the second person out.
Upon receiving being notified of the avalanche, emergency personnel were on scene within an hour and immediately began rescue operations. Snowmobiles and tracked UTVs helped transport emergency personnel and equipment from the staging area to the scene of the avalanche. It was roughly 5 miles away in deep snow.
Officials said the rider who was rescued by crews was transported by helicopter to the University of Utah with a “significant” leg injury. The second individual was transported by ambulance with a head injury to Ogden Regional Hospital in stable condition.
“We would like to remind all individuals who engage in outdoor winter activities to take proper precautions and always be prepared for the possibility of an avalanche,” the Morgan County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release. “It’s important to remember that avalanches can happen to anyone, regardless of their level of experience or equipment. We encourage everyone to always check the weather and snow conditions, carry essential safety equipment, and stay within designated areas.”
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Parts of Utah experienced a severe thunderstorm, Pride Festival back on
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Landspout forms over Salt Lake County. Here’s how that differs from a tornado
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- PornHub blocks users in Utah, cites state’s age verification law
- Church announces sites for three previously announced temples