Investigators identify suspect and victims of Sandy shooting
SANDY – Investigators are releasing more details about the man they say committed a double murder-suicide, killing a woman and her six-year-old son.
A statement from the Sandy Police Department says the woman, Memorez Rackley, had recently made a complaint against the shooter, Jeremy Patterson of Draper, for telephone harassment. Officers contacted Patterson and told him to stop contacting her. Sergeant Jason Nielsen says they’re still trying to determine exactly what their relationship was. Nielsen says, “They knew each other. The extent of the relationship of them knowing each other, is still under investigation.” They’re looking into Instagram posts from Patterson, claiming the two were in a romantic relationship, but, Patterson was not the father of any of the children involved.
After Patterson reportedly killed Rackley and her six-year-old son, Nielsen says Patterson turned the gun on himself. “This is a murder-suicide. We’re going to take a lot of time making sure this is a very thorough investigation. We owe it to both families to make sure we get this investigation correct,” Nielsen says.
The other children who were injured are Rackley’s other son and the daughter of the woman who tried to give Rackley and her kids a ride from school. “Memorez’s son who was transported to the hospital is in critical but stable condition. The Good Samaritan’s daughter who was transported to the hospital is in stable condition.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Lehi building placed on false lockdown after report of unconcealed gun
- BYU students win international award for video game
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Senate passes Romney-sponsored bill to fund Great Salt Lake study
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Snowball Express arrives at Salt Lake City Airport
- Salt Lake City Police Department hosts holiday Pay-it-Forward event
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success