Investigators identify suspect and victims of Sandy shooting
SANDY – Investigators are releasing more details about the man they say committed a double murder-suicide, killing a woman and her six-year-old son.
A statement from the Sandy Police Department says the woman, Memorez Rackley, had recently made a complaint against the shooter, Jeremy Patterson of Draper, for telephone harassment. Officers contacted Patterson and told him to stop contacting her. Sergeant Jason Nielsen says they’re still trying to determine exactly what their relationship was. Nielsen says, “They knew each other. The extent of the relationship of them knowing each other, is still under investigation.” They’re looking into Instagram posts from Patterson, claiming the two were in a romantic relationship, but, Patterson was not the father of any of the children involved.
After Patterson reportedly killed Rackley and her six-year-old son, Nielsen says Patterson turned the gun on himself. “This is a murder-suicide. We’re going to take a lot of time making sure this is a very thorough investigation. We owe it to both families to make sure we get this investigation correct,” Nielsen says.
The other children who were injured are Rackley’s other son and the daughter of the woman who tried to give Rackley and her kids a ride from school. “Memorez’s son who was transported to the hospital is in critical but stable condition. The Good Samaritan’s daughter who was transported to the hospital is in stable condition.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Father of girl who died in Kaysville parade is thankful for those who helped
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- Could a gas strike work? One expert doubts it
- Family of Zane James speaks out after settlement reached with Cottonwood Heights
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Anonymous donor offers $50K to help find missing South Salt Lake man
- Dog dies after being left in hot car for more than an hour
- Police: Parade shooting suspect contemplated 2nd shooting
- Spanish Fork house catches fire after fireworks not properly extinguished