Davis School District re-instates teacher in Ash Wednesday incident
BOUNTIFUL, Utah — A fourth-grade teacher who told a student to wipe off an Ash Wednesday cross is now back on the job.
The teacher, Moana Patterson, has now returned to the classroom at Valley View Elementary. The Davis School District says they investigated the situation, followed policy and took action. They won’t discuss the details though.
But the statement says the principal will work with the district’s Educational Equity Department to provide any additional training.
This happened on March 6th.
“When the teacher saw it, she came over and said, ‘what is that,’” William McLeod told KSL. “I was like, ‘I’m Catholic and it’s for Ash Wednesday’ and she’s like, ‘no, that’s inappropriate in our school—go wash it off!’”
“I went to the office and I was crying because I felt like I was in trouble,” McLeod said.
Patterson was then placed on administrative leave, but McLeod says she apologized to him that day.
“I accept her apology, because she’s actually a really nice teacher,” he said.
Patterson gave a press conference later that week saying, “My entire life has been centered around respecting diversity. I would never ever intentionally disrespect any religion or sacred symbol,” she said, while surrounded by students and parents. “It was a complete misunderstanding.”
Those students and parents said they agreed that it was an honest mistake.
The Davis School district says they are moving forward and will not be providing further comments.
Today’s Top Stories
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- AirMed responding to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Man wanted for leaving a dead fish at ‘The Goonies’ house saved by Coast Guard…
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Don’t put dogs in truck beds, Utah Humane Society says
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…