Fires jump significantly for the start of July in Utah; staffing increased
From target shooting to fireworks, fire crews have been busy putting out fires across the state.
The Unified Fire Department says that they have seen a 1,000% increase in fire calls since the beginning of the month and have increased their personnel accordingly.
In all, at least 13 different fires were reported across the Wasatch Front yesterday, most of them small and manmade.
Since July 1, there have been 40 wildfires reported to Utah’s interagency wildfire dispatch centers (13 today). All have been responded to by federal, state, tribal and local resources. Nearly all of them have been fully suppressed. #ffsljc
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) July 5, 2019
Unified Firefighters say improper disposal was to blame for a dumpster fire in Midvale. It appears to have been started by fireworks that were still too hot when they were thrown out.
And so it begins! Dumpster fire #1 at a GAS STATION!!! Remember to fully submerge your fireworks in water prior to disposal. Stay safe everyone!!! pic.twitter.com/GeNwyRiHlB
— Unified Fire (@FireAuthority) July 5, 2019
Crews made good work on the Long Hollow Fire in Spanish Fork Canyon, bringing the blaze to 60% containment, up from 20% yesterday.
In Utah County, the West Mountain fire around the area of Lincoln Beach at Utah Lake has burned about 45 acres. No buildings are threatened and there is still no word yet what caused that one.
The largest fire in Utah is 50% contained, according to Utah Wildfire Info. The Skull Flat Fire, burning near Beaver, has consumed more than 1,500 acres. Firefighters think they’ve stopped the spread of those flames.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man dies during performance at Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show
- Several people killed in Copenhagen mall shooting, police say
- Layton City is under extreme firework restrictions
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- Update: Vehicle crashes into Famous Footwear, leaving four injured
- Tooele City releases fireworks restrictions map
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- Semi-truck rolls on I-80 at U.S.-40, Silver Creek Junction
- UPDATE: SLCPD investigating party shooting that left one in critical condition
- Fireworks and some open flames are now banned in Park City