LAYTON, Utah – US Marshalls have shot and wounded a suspect in the parking lot of the Layton Hills Mall.
The marshalls had been tracking the 28-year-old man Tuesday afternoon, who was wanted on several felony warrants in multiple cities in Utah, including for aggravated robbery.
Matthew Brooks with the US Marshalls Service says they believed he was armed, which is why they waited until he left the mall and got to the parking lot.
But when Marshalls confronted him outside the JC Penney, Brooks says he ran away and got into his car.
“He ran towards his vehicle, got in the vehicle, and started ramming [law enforcement] vehicles. As our police vehicles approached, he continued to ram our police vehicles, and vehicles adjacent to his vehicle,” Brooks says.
Brooks says that’s when US Marshalls opened fire, wounding the suspect, who was then taken to the hospital.
No other person appears to be injured, including the woman who had been with the suspect at the mall.
The Davis County Incident Protocol Team is investigating what happened.
- Coronavirus: Utah man in isolation after testing positive (pageviews: 1688)
- Church spends nearly $1 billion in humanitarian, welfare aid, leaders say (pageviews: 1502)
- Boys anonymously buy Valentines for every girl in their grade at Farmington Jr High (pageviews: 916)
- Mylar balloon: don't let it go! (pageviews: 822)
- Boy Scouts file for bankruptcy due to sex-abuse lawsuits (pageviews: 801)
- Mike Bloomberg gains 2 Utah campaign co-chairs (pageviews: 735)
- Fugitive, K9 officer killed in officer involved shooting (pageviews: 730)
- Trump campaign manager deletes dramatic Air Force One NASCAR photo after people point out it's from 2004 (pageviews: 678)