Update: Fire crews work to suppress Crestwood Fire; officials lift evacuations
MILLCREEK, Utah — Unified Fire reported the Crestwood Fire was at 10% containment, lifting mandatory evacuations put in place earlier Saturday evening.
Fire authorities report the Crestwood Fire progression has stopped, as several helicopters and ground crews actively suppress the flame.
Unified Fire issued a mandatory evacuation for Millcreek residents after a new fire sparked at the base of Millcreek Canyon Saturday evening. The fire, name it “Crestwood Fire” has burned roughly 15-20 acres at moderate speed.
Mandatory Evacuation of Millcreek Canyon due to wildland Fire.
Wildland Fire in Millcreek off of Crestwood.
Fire Size 8-10 acres
Multiple agencies and aircraft on scene.
Standby for more details. pic.twitter.com/sEACm5aSL7
— Unified Fire (@FireAuthority) July 12, 2020
The canyon will also be closed, with crews not allowing anyone to go up until further notice. Officials say these actions are more precautionary to ensure no one gets trapped in the canyon if the fire spreads quickly.
Multiple crews are responding from Unified Fire Authority, Salt Lake City Fire Department and South Salt Lake Fire Department.
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) July 12, 2020
Earlier, officials reported there were no evacuations as the fire was not spreading toward any buildings or homes.
This story is breaking and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Police: Gunman fired more than 70 rounds at July 4 parade, 7 dead
- Highland Drive open after closing for hours due to fatal crash involving Coke truck
- Early morning crash on I-15 kills motorcyclist
- Deuel Creek Fire continues to burn, officials hopeful for more containment
- Police have arrested a ‘person of interest’ after a mass shooting at July 4th…
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- Highland Park parade shooting suspect charged with 7 counts of murder, state’s attorney says
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs