WASHINGTON — Wednesday is Tax Day. The new deadline for filing your taxes has been extended to July 15th due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but even people who waited until today could squeeze in at least one last-minute deduction.
Personal Finance Expert Farnoosh Torabi told ABC News that now is the time to beef up those retirement accounts like 401(k)s and IRAs.
“Normally, we have until April 15th to contribute the max to our 401(k) and our IRAs, but now you have until July 15th,” Torabi said.
Taxpayers are also encouraged to look at starting an IRA for a relative, which could possibly give them more tax deductions.
Another benefit of filing your taxes late is that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will pay interest on those refunds.
According to the IRS website, “By law, the interest rate on both overpayment and underpayment of tax is adjusted quarterly. The interest rate for the second quarter, ending on June 30, 2020, is 5% per year, compounded daily. The interest rate for the third quarter, ending September 30, 2020, is 3% per year, compounded daily.”
However, taxpayers are being reminded that any interest they get will be taxed next year.
Another pitfall experts are warning about is scammers who are trying to steal taxpayers’ returns or stimulus checks.
The IRS sasy it only contacts people by official mail, so taxpayers are being urged to ignore texts, phone calls, or emails from anyone claiming to be from the IRS.
Anyone with questions can also go to IRS.gov/coronavirus
- Southbound I-15 closed Monday morning after road rage, shooting (pageviews: 2815)
- Utah lawmaker opens bill to explore impeachment against AG Reyes (pageviews: 2524)
- UDOT: Southbound I-15 experiencing major delays due to crash (pageviews: 1745)
- Southbound I-15 closed after hit and run, shooting (pageviews: 1515)
- CONFIRMED: The noise was a sonic boom, 80 miles from SLC – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1217)
- Romney supports impeachment trial; new poll shows his support is slipping (pageviews: 1007)
- CONFIRMED: The noise was a sonic boom, 80 miles from SLC (pageviews: 892)
- Two arrests after “clandestine narcotics lab” found in SLC apartment – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 797)