Salt Lake woman defended family with American flag
SOUTH SALT LAKE CITY — Police say a woman in South Salt Lake defended her family with an American flag during an aggravated burglary.
According to South Salt Lake Police, just before 9 a.m. on Monday an unknown male suspect entered the front gate of a home near the 900 block of 3300 South and began to assault the family that lived there.
Police said during the assault, “The female victim was able to grab her flag pole with the flag attached to defend herself and other family members. She struck the suspect multiple times trying to defend herself and broke the pole.”
The family was able to get back inside their home. Police say the man then broke down the door and continued assaulting the family. Officers later arrived and arrested Justin Scott Smith, 42, on suspicion of aggravated burglary, aggravated assault, criminal mischief, and two counts of assault.
The department says officers quickly took up a collection to replace the family’s broken flag pole and flag. It came after the woman expressed concern that the pole was broken and her flag hit the ground.
Following collection efforts, officers from the South Salt Lake Police Department presented the family with a new flag and flagpole. According to their post, officers even helped install it.
Other flag news
Matterhorn in Swiss Alps lit up with American flag, messages of hope during coronavirus crisis
Can a flag be too big? A North Carolina city is suing RV dealer over large American Flag
2 men arrested for burning American flags outside homes in Ogden
Today’s Top Stories
- 13 year old hospitalized after being run over in Bountiful
- Deputies say evidence pointing to likely homicide in case of Dylan Rounds
- Update: 5-year-old still in critical condition after being hit by truck while riding balance bike
- Biden to pardon all federal offenses of simple marijuana possession in first major steps…
- Utah debates: Here’s how 3rd District candidates stand on the issues (Rep. John Curtis…
- A kidnapped family of 4 has been found dead in California, authorities say
- Voters could see an increase in police presence at the polls
- Water levels indicate that Utah’s water conservation efforts are working
- Church leader speaks of caring for the earth at Why It Matters conference
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces