‘World’s unluckiest burglars’ arrested after pocket-dialing police during robbery
(CNN) — Two hapless burglars have been arrested in the UK after accidentally pocket-dialing the police during their crime.
An officer in Staffordshire, central England, labeled the thieves the “world’s unluckiest burglars” and likened them to the ill-fated crooks in the movie “Home Alone.”
He said one of the pair mistakenly sat on his phone and rang 999, the UK’s emergency number, allowing officers to hear the crime in progress and ultimately listen in on their colleagues arresting the duo.
“I think we have just arrested the world’s unluckiest burglars,” Chief Inspector John Owen wrote on Twitter.
“Whilst committing a burglary one of the bungling burglars has accidentally sat on his phone & dialed 999,” he wrote.
“We (received) a call detailing all of their antics up to the point of hearing our patrols arrive to arrest them.”
Adding insult to injury, Owen included a gif of the “Home Alone” character Marv, who proves comically unsuited to a life of crime in the Macaulay Culkin Christmas movie.
In 2016, two equally unfortunate robbers held up a McDonald’s in France — only to discover that 11 armed members of an elite paramilitary force happened to be eating inside.
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Morning storms impact school schedules
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Suspect in Wednesday’s I-15 shooting is named, booked into jail
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Semi rollover on Legacy Highway reduces traffic to one lane
- Victim in fatal auto pedestrian crash was 11 years old, investigation continues
- Hidden cameras found in restrooms in U of U Student Life Center, suspect in custody
- Who are SuperAgers and are you one?