‘World’s unluckiest burglars’ arrested after pocket-dialing police during robbery
(CNN) — Two hapless burglars have been arrested in the UK after accidentally pocket-dialing the police during their crime.
An officer in Staffordshire, central England, labeled the thieves the “world’s unluckiest burglars” and likened them to the ill-fated crooks in the movie “Home Alone.”
He said one of the pair mistakenly sat on his phone and rang 999, the UK’s emergency number, allowing officers to hear the crime in progress and ultimately listen in on their colleagues arresting the duo.
“I think we have just arrested the world’s unluckiest burglars,” Chief Inspector John Owen wrote on Twitter.
“Whilst committing a burglary one of the bungling burglars has accidentally sat on his phone & dialed 999,” he wrote.
“We (received) a call detailing all of their antics up to the point of hearing our patrols arrive to arrest them.”
Adding insult to injury, Owen included a gif of the “Home Alone” character Marv, who proves comically unsuited to a life of crime in the Macaulay Culkin Christmas movie.
In 2016, two equally unfortunate robbers held up a McDonald’s in France — only to discover that 11 armed members of an elite paramilitary force happened to be eating inside.
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Bountiful woman arrested after allegedly stealing $6,000 from patient
- Salt Lake City Police cancel Amber alert for 11-year-old girl
- Jan. 6 panel calls surprise hearing to present new evidence
- UDOT seeks public feedback on future of Bangerter Highway
- AP sources: At least 40 people found dead in back of tractor trailer
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- Lawmaker seeks to remove felony statute from Utah’s abortion trigger law
- Utah primary election: Acceptable ID to bring for in-person voting
- The newest, weirdest summer treat is a ketchup-flavored popsicle