2 Capitol Police officers suspended for their alleged roles in riot
(CNN) — Two Capitol Police officers have been suspended and another individual has been arrested for their alleged roles in the riot at the US Capitol on January 6, said Rep. Tim Ryan.
“There were two people suspended. One was the selfie officer and another was an officer who had put a MAGA hat on and started directing some people around,” said Ryan, an Ohio Democrat who is chair of the House subcommittee handling the investigation into the response to the insurrection. “It was the interim chief who determined that to be qualifying for immediate suspension.”
Ryan had fewer details about the individual who was arrested, and was not sure if the person was a police officer or a member of the National Guard. He told reporters he would have more details later.
He added that there are approximately 10 to 15 Capitol Police officers under investigation for their behavior during the riot but did not have more specifics.
This is a breaking story and will be updated.
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- After celebrity death to colon cancer, Utah doctor weighs in on colonoscopy
- Two Utah experts talk about prisoner swap for WNBA player Brittney Griner
- Update: Some I-15 lanes reopen after hazmat spill in Bluffdale
- Families of Hunter High shooting victims unhappy with plea deal
- Downtown Ogden expansion project begins finalizing plans
- Provo Police looking for information about two cars in deadly hit-and-run
- West Jordan Elementary School is closing its gates after 40 years
- Members of the council explain the Salt Lake County library tax
- SWAT standoff in Tooele ends peacefully, no further threat to public
- Sundance Film Festival is seeking volunteers for 2023 event