SALT LAKE CITY — Utah will receive far fewer doses than expected of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine next week because of an ingredient mix-up at a Baltimore factory, KSL NewsRadio has learned.
In a live interview with KSL NewsRadio’s Dave & Dujanovic, Utah Department of Health Immunizations Director Rich Lakin said Utah would receive about 35,000 fewer doses next week than it received this week.
According to state officials, Utah received around 40,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine this week, but anticipates receiving just 4,900 next week. Overall, that means the total number of available vaccine doses will be reduced next week, though Pfizer and Moderna doses will still be available.
“That’s significant, because we went from 106,440 down to 71,810 [total vaccine doses available],” Lakin said. “Disappointing.”
So far, 994,000 Utahns have received at least one dose of one of the available vaccines. The Johnson & Johnson vaccine requires just one shot rather than two.
We are still working to determine exactly what that means for Utah residents who already have appointments scheduled to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. This story will be updated. In the meantime, tune to KSL for live, breaking updates.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person, similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Wear a mask to protect yourself and others per CDC recommendations.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet).
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities).
- Obtain a flu shot.
- Seek out the COVID-19 vaccine.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Opinion: A Former Coachman’s Waitress Says Farewell
- Do You Suffer From Intimacy Pain, Pressure, or Leaking? Here Are 7 Ways You Can Get Relief…
- Pandemic child abuse reports down, but Utah cases did not go away
- Looking for Something Fun to do With Your Whole Family? 3 Fun Things To Do in Logan Utah
- More than 500k Utahns qualify for ‘zero-dollar,’ lower premium health care plans
- What is an accessory dwelling unit? How ADU’s can help your finances, future, and your…
- Don’t run out of money in your retirement | Potential retirement solutions to help you…
- Senators Romney and Lee sign letter to oppose lifting ban on earmarks
- Dogecoin jumps 20% as crypto fans declare Doge Day
- Utah leaders call for peace following verdict in Chauvin trial