Crews located body of drowning victim in Pineview Reservoir
PINEVIEW RESERVOIR, Utah — Search and Rescue have recovered the body of a 16-year-old boy who fell victim to drowning on Sunday while attempting to swim across Pineview Reservoir.
Body of 16 year-old who drowned at Pineview Reservoir Sunday has been recovered. @KSL5TV
— Mike Anderson (@mikeandersonKSL) July 19, 2021
Weber Search and Rescue dispatched to the reservoir around 5:45 p.m. Sunday after reports of a suspected drowning victim. Crews searched until early Monday morning but were unsuccessful.
The search picked back up again at 8:00 Monday morning, using boats, kayaks, divers, and cadaver dogs to assist the search for the boy.
Investigators reported the teen was with three friends when they decided to swim across a portion of the reservoir. However, Weber County Sheriff’s Lieutenant Cortney Ryan said they realized it was too difficult to swim the entire way.
Ryan reported, “When they were on their way back, they began to tire out, and one of them wasn’t able to make it back to shore.”
This is the fourth drowning at Pineview this year, and Ryan said many people underestimate how fatigued they are when they enter the water.
“With the extreme heat that we have had, sitting out on the beach all day, just in the sun, is taxing on your body,” he said.
Unfortunately, none of the teens were wearing life vests. Ryan explained flotation devices are crucial in reservoirs since the cold water makes muscles cramp quickly, making swimming more dangerous.
“We have people that come and swim here quite often that are professional-level swimmers and they bring a flotation device with them as they swim, just in case something comes up,” according to Ryan.
Officials believe it’s not enough just to wear a life vest, but people need to have a complete water safety plan before they swim in any kind of reservoir.
Ryan explained, “Use the buddy system. Also, use a flotation device and have somebody watching from shore.”
This is one of nine drownings that have taken place at lakes and reservoirs in Utah this summer.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Arrest made after fatal Logan Canyon crash
- Additional sex charges filed against Utah businessman; more victims possible
- Lawyer: Trump indicted; 1st ex-president charged with crime
- Utah company with ties to polygamous group cited for violating child labor laws
- Multiple Utah schools received fake reports of school shooting, officials say
- Jury finds Paltrow not liable in ski collision trial
- Utah drought conditions see “significant” improvement
- The search for the caller behind Utah’s 13 school hoaxes
- Nine soldiers killed after Army helicopters crash in Kentucky
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts