A man in Parowan is in critical condition after trying to set fire on police
PAROWAN, Utah — A male suspect is in critical condition after striking a car with a bat, and setting fire to his house almost killing himself and police officers.
It happened near the 600 (west) block of Center Street, a suspect walked in the middle of the street forcing a car to stop. The suspect began striking the body of the car, the front windshield, and two side windows of the antique car with a baseball bat according to the police report.
It’s believed the suspect does not know the two victims in the vehicle.
Officers immediately went to the suspect’s house and set up containment around the house. Police attempted to contact the suspect for several minutes, they advised the suspect there was a warrant against him and asked him to surrender before they served the order.
Officers entered the house, to find the suspect was not inside the residence. Shortly after he was located in a wooden shed in the backyard. The suspect verbally refused to surrender to the police.
After a while, the police noticed a strong odor of gasoline and saw the suspect pouring gas on himself and the ground inside the shed. Two officers attempted to open the shed door to prevent the suspect from harming himself, but the suspect began pouring gas on them and the door while lighting the lighter forcing the officers to back away.
Flames quickly overtook the shed and officers began getting water hoses and fire extinguishers to put the fire out in an attempt to save the suspect’s life. Moments later the suspect came out and fell to the ground.
Officer provided medical aid until the ambulance arrived, he was transported to Cedar City hospital in critical conditions where he is being treated for his self-inflicted injuries.
A criminal investigation is still currently underway to determine why the suspect attacked the victims in the car. The car victims also received medical treatment.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- Fake nursing diploma scheme in Florida; 25 arrested
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Don’t put dogs in truck beds, Utah Humane Society says
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says