BYU Cougarettes Instagram page held hostage by hacker
PROVO — The BYU Cougarettes Instagram page is being held hostage by a hacker demanding a ransom of $1,000.
The account was taken over Sept. 30 and the person responsible for the hack has changed the page name to “pharabenfarway79k.” The account bio now says “this Instagram account is held to be sold back to its owner”, along with some contact information.
The Daily Universe reports it reached out using that information. And the hacker said they are simply doing their job. Targeting the Cougarettes page was purportedly done for no particular reason. The Universe says the hacker informed them no one from BYU has reached out to them.
The Universe says the school’s athletic department is trying to work with Instagram to retrieve ownership of the page.
- BYU Cougars accept invitation to join Big 12 Conference
- Boise State forces 4 turnovers, knocks off No. 10 BYU 26-17
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- Anonymous donor offers $50K to help find missing South Salt Lake man
- Father of girl who died in Kaysville parade is thankful for those who helped
- Family of Zane James speaks out after settlement reached with Cottonwood Heights
- Spanish Fork house catches fire after fireworks not properly extinguished
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Highland Park parade shooting suspect charged with 7 counts of murder, state’s attorney says
- Highland Drive open after closing for hours due to fatal crash involving Coke truck
- Early morning crash on I-15 kills motorcyclist