Salt Lake man arrested after swinging a hatchet during a fight
SALT LAKE CITY – A Salt Lake City man is arrested after swinging a hatchet to get into an apartment. The fight happened at an apartment complex near 2000 South and 200 East, Sunday afternoon.
Police arrived at the location and found multiple hatchet strikes to the door of an apartment. Salt Lake City Police said the home owner opened the door to find out what the noise was. However, the 56 year old man, Juan Munguia, continued swinging the hatchet and lodged his 400 pound battery powered wheelchair in the doorway.
The suspect continued to swing the hatchet injuring the victim who was trying to stop him from entering the apartment. Munguia also damaged walls while using his wheelchair as a bull dozer. The wheelchair bound assailant told authorities he was returning the family heirloom hatchet to his estranged wife and collecting a debt.
Witnesses to the altercation told police they asked the Munguia to leave multiple times. Police found the man in his apartment, which is located in the same complex.
He was booked on aggravated assault, aggravated domestic violence assault and aggravated burglary of a dwelling.
Today’s Top Stories
- Heated driveways are a modern wonder, but what else can you do with radiant heating around…
- Black Layton football player punished after being called a racial slur
- Rose Bowl tickets available now for Utah football fans
- New US travel rules: What you need to know about the changes prompted by Omicron
- Car carrying infant involved in overnight road rage shooting on SR 201
- Meteorologists say rain and snow are headed to northern Utah this week
- A North Carolina man accidentally bought 2 identical lottery tickets — and won 2 jackpots
- White House announces US diplomatic boycott of 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing
- Could this be the week that snow arrives in Utah?
- A man jumped out of taxiing airplane at Phoenix’s Sky Harbor International Airport