Final week of public input for Independent Redistricting Commission in Utah
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — You have until Saturday to weigh in on redistricting, or how lawmakers redraw district boundaries in Utah.
That’s the last day Utah’s Independent Redistricting Commission takes public input.
Their final two public meetings are Thursday at 6 p.m. in Herriman and Saturday morning at 11 in West Valley City.
You can share your concerns anytime online.
Utah redistricting process underway
The so-called people’s commission must submit their redistricting maps to lawmakers by November 1st. That includes twelve maps in total: 3 versions for each member of Congress, state House, state Senate, and Utah Board of Education.
Lawmakers ultimately make the final boundaries. They do not have to adopt the commission’s maps. The big question: Will lawmakers maps be vastly different from what the commission suggests?
Obviously, changing district boundaries could change the make up of the state legislature, adding representation to groups who feel underrepresented.
Changing school board boundaries changes who you can vote for for the Utah Board of Education, which could mean your kid’s school experience would look different.
- Opinion: The high-stake musical chairs game of redistricting, explained
- Expert: Utah is getting less red, but that’s not the whole story
- Tentative deal reached on anti-gerrymandering initiative
- Despite rapid growth, Utah not awarded another seat in Congress
Today’s Top Stories
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- More than 2,700 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- 2 arrested in central California shooting that left 6 dead, including mother clutching…
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen