Gabby Petito’s family is suing Brian Laundrie’s family, saying they knew about her murder
TAMPA BAY, Florida — Gabby Petito’s family has filed a lawsuit against Brian Laundrie’s parents, saying his mom and dad knew about Petito’s murder and helped their son evade the police.
Citing court documents it obtained, Florida news station WFLA reports that Petito’s father, Joseph Petito, and mother Nichole Schmidt, filed a civil lawsuit against Laundrie’s parents on Thursday, March 10.
WFLA reports that Petito’s parents said that Chris and Roberta Laundrie were attempting to get their son out of the country.
The Petito lawsuit further alleges that Brian Laundrie told his parents what had happened to Gabby Petito “on our about” Aug. 28.
The Teton County, Wyoming Coroner confirmed that Petito was murdered by strangulation sometime after August 25, 2021.
Petito had been traveling across the United States in a van with fiancé Brian Laundrie before she disappeared and he returned to his home in North Port, Florida driving Petito’s van. Petito was not with upon his return.
Laundrie was reported missing by his family on Sept. 17, 2021.
After a month of searching, human remains were found in Florida’s Carlton Reserve on Wednesday, Oct. 20, 2021. After a review of dental records, they were later confirmed to be those of Brian Laundrie.
Related reading: Gabby Petito timeline: Her summer trip, disappearance, and murder
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Bill would allow individuals to become teachers without a bachelor’s degree
- Check your pantry, a Conagra canned meat recall may affect you
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Credit union will pay for larger dog adoptions this weekend
- As two federal pandemic emergency-assistance programs near an end, Cox has solutions
- Court says gun law targeting domestic violence suspects is unconstitutional
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Utah mom shares grocery budgeting tips