Gabby Petito’s family is suing Brian Laundrie’s family, saying they knew about her murder
TAMPA BAY, Florida — Gabby Petito’s family has filed a lawsuit against Brian Laundrie’s parents, saying his mom and dad knew about Petito’s murder and helped their son evade the police.
Citing court documents it obtained, Florida news station WFLA reports that Petito’s father, Joseph Petito, and mother Nichole Schmidt, filed a civil lawsuit against Laundrie’s parents on Thursday, March 10.
WFLA reports that Petito’s parents said that Chris and Roberta Laundrie were attempting to get their son out of the country.
The Petito lawsuit further alleges that Brian Laundrie told his parents what had happened to Gabby Petito “on our about” Aug. 28.
The Teton County, Wyoming Coroner confirmed that Petito was murdered by strangulation sometime after August 25, 2021.
Petito had been traveling across the United States in a van with fiancé Brian Laundrie before she disappeared and he returned to his home in North Port, Florida driving Petito’s van. Petito was not with upon his return.
Laundrie was reported missing by his family on Sept. 17, 2021.
After a month of searching, human remains were found in Florida’s Carlton Reserve on Wednesday, Oct. 20, 2021. After a review of dental records, they were later confirmed to be those of Brian Laundrie.
Related reading: Gabby Petito timeline: Her summer trip, disappearance, and murder
Today’s Top Stories
- Ogden man in jail after allegedly shaking 8-week-old baby
- Breaking: Teen missing from Layton found safe in Salt Lake City
- Number of visitors to Arches National Park is on the decline
- 200-year-old tree explodes in Portland due to heat wave
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- Woman dead, man hurt after police chase and crash in Summit County
- UTA releases video of the moments before woman was hit by FrontRunner
- Code enforcement officer killed in WVC
- Woman dies after being struck by FrontRunner in Salt Lake City
- Refinery flares are normal says Utah Department of Environmental Quality