Spanish Fork house catches fire after fireworks not properly extinguished
Jul 5, 2022, 8:00 PM | Updated: Dec 29, 2022, 11:29 am
(Spanish Fork Fire Department)
SPANISH FORK, Utah — No serious injuries were reported following a house fire Monday night in Spanish Fork.
According to a news release, emergency personnel were dispatched to the area of 1700 South 2940 East at 11:57 p.m.
Once on scene, crews noticed heavy smoke and fire coming from the attic of the home. According to the news release, crews were able to contain the fire to the attic and garage of the home, limiting the fire and smoke damage to other parts of the home.
Spanish Fork house fire
Crews were able to put the fire out in about 35 minutes upon arrival.
Three individuals, who lived in the home, were treated for smoke inhalation but were released at the scene. No other injuries were reported.
The damage to the home is roughly $300,000. Fire officials say the blaze started in an outdoor garbage can where recently used fireworks were thrown away in. The fire then spread to the side of the home then extended up into the attic.
Fire officials would like to remind those lighting fireworks to be sure to soak the remaining parts of the fireworks in a bucket of water before throwing them away.
Additionally, fire officials would also like to remind the public to have to make sure you have working smoke detectors inside your home.
The Spanish Fork Fire Department was assisted on the scene by the Spanish Fork Police Department. As well as fire agencies from Woodland Hills, Salem and Mapleton. In all, 28 firefighters assisted in putting out the fire.
- One person killed in an auto-pedestrian collision in Spanish Fork
- Is it time to ban fireworks in Utah? For some, the answer is yes.