Utah students react to student debt forgiveness
SALT LAKE CITY — News of President Biden’s announcement on student loan forgiveness is making its way to students.
The news is likely welcome to many recent school-goers. A study by Quote Wizard found that more than 30% of Utah students had to scrap their college plans completely due to COVID-19.
The study also found that 45% of locals are now taking classes in a different format, 32% are taking fewer classes, and 14% changed schools due to the pandemic.
KSL NewsRadio’s Adam Small spoke with some local students at the University of Utah to get their reactions. The consensus was approval for the move.
“I think it would be great for a lot of people,” said University of Utah student Maddox Mojica.
Student Miisha Masterson said the relief not only helps those in the repayment process but, also those currently going to school.
“There aren’t a lot of people that are making enough money so it’s nice to have the reassurance that we are going to have $10,000, you know?” said Masterson.
Sen. Mitt Romney made a statement before Biden made his announcement, calling the plan a bribe to voters.
Sad to see what’s being done to bribe the voters. Biden’s student loan forgiveness plan may win Democrats some votes, but it fuels inflation, foots taxpayers with other people’s financial obligations, is unfair to those who paid their own way & creates irresponsible expectations.
— Senator Mitt Romney (@SenatorRomney) August 24, 2022
— Rep. John Curtis (@RepJohnCurtis) August 24, 2022
— Mike Lee (@SenMikeLee) August 24, 2022
- How will forgiving student loan debt impact the economy?
- What to do now that your student loan debt just shrunk by $10,000?
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Three vehicle crash in Sanpete County leaves one dead
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Engineer who refused to approve Challenger launch dies in Ogden
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- UTA board looks at FrontRunner expansion in Utah County