Connecting with the arts and history at the Utah Renaissance Faire
LEHI, Utah — The first thing you might have wondered if you hit the opening of the Utah Renaissance Faire today in Lehi is “what are all of these kids doing out of school?”
It’s a fair question. The kids were there as part of their schools’ education day. The fair sponsor invites classrooms from across Utah to learn more about the renaissance period through games and quests.
More than 12,000 people are expected to attend the two-day event, which marks the festival’s tenth anniversary. Gayle Dowdle, who plays Queen Elizabeth the First at the Tudor Court, says welcoming the kids is her favorite part.
“Honestly, the little girls are the best,” Dowdle told KSL NewsRadio. “Because, I’m super sparkly, because I’m Queen Elizabeth! The little girls just walk up and their eyes light up!
“They want to do tasks for me, and they want to help me defeat the Spanish Armada by recruiting mermaids.”
The faire is part of the Utah Valley Fine Arts Council, which wants to help families connect with the arts and history.
If you go on Friday night, you want to be sure to look skyward.
“We have a free concert at night, with a fire, followed by a 150-syncronized drone show,” said Richard Thurman, the founder of the festival.
“They’ll be making dragons in the sky.”
Simone Seikaly contributed to this report.
- Gas price lowered at a local gas station in Lehi
- Lehi splash pad closed due to vandalism
- UDOT removing Lehi light poles, expect lane closures on I-15
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Utah County attorney says he’s been wrongly accused of cannibalism
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Over 20 arrested in Utah County human trafficking sting, 3 victims rescued
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Utah mom shares grocery budgeting tips