EDUCATION + SCHOOLS
Utah immigrant youth to benefit from new Weber State scholarship
Dec 1, 2022, 4:50 PM
OGDEN, Utah — Weber State University has joined with more than 70 colleges across the United States to offer scholarships to immigrant youth that are undocumented and who want to go to college.
The scholarships will be offered to Utah immigrant youth in partnership with TheDream.US which describes itself as “the nation’s largest college access and success program for DREAMers.”
Specifically, the scholarships are offered to undocumented immigrant students without the administrative status of DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) or TPS, Temporary Protected Status.
In most cases, students who have received this scholarship have gone on to work or begin their own businesses. According to the president of TheDream.US, 93% of their more than 3,000 graduates have achieved their education and work goals.
According to the Higher Ed Information Portal, Utah is classified as a ‘comprehensive access state’ which offers in-state tuition and state financial aid for undocumented students.
Of Utah’s 360,000 students currently in higher education, 10,000 are first-generation immigrant students and 17,000 are second-generation immigrant students.
Requirements for Utah immigrant youth to apply
To apply, a student must have come to the U.S. before the age of 16 and before Nov. 1, 2017.
According to a press release, the scholarship is available to multiple types of students. They include those about to graduate from high school or earn a GED, as well as current community college and university students.
“This is going to open doors for so many students,” said Brad Mortensen, WSU president in a press release.
“Weber State is all about providing opportunities to people from all walks of life, to anyone who dreams of pursuing higher education.”
- Salt Lake School Board passes immigration resolution
- Salt Lake County welcomes refugees, immigrants during annual “Welcoming Week”
- Heart of Utah: Pakistani refugee living the American Dream
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Two people killed in road rage crash near Eagle Mountain are identified
- Suspect killed, Ogden police officer stable after officer-involved shooting
- Utah will loan first-time homebuyers $20,000 for new homes
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Weber, Box Elder, Davis, Tooele counties
- Kouri Richins family satisfied with partial gag order issued in case, says spokesman
- Boats returning to the Great Salt Lake Marina
- Man urges pet owners to be cautious around rivers after Oliver the dog was swept away
- Boppy Newborn Lounger pillow blamed in more infant deaths
- Multiple leads being followed up on after motorcyclist shot at passenger car, victim is stable