Portions of Utah’s alcohol profits to fund underage drinking prevention
SALT LAKE CITY — Some of the money from the increasing alcohol sales in Utah is going toward more than operating costs.
Utah earned $557.6 million in alcohol sales, an almost 8% increase from 2021. Of the $557.6 million, $2.97 million was set aside for underage drinking prevention.
The funds went to Parents Empowered a statewide media and community education campaign. It’s intended to reduce underage drinking by providing parents and caregivers with information about the harmful effects of alcohol on developing brains.
Parents Empowered works with the state to prevent underage drinking and encourages caregivers to talk with children and teens about alcohol.
The Utah Department of Alcoholic Beverage Services Director Tiffany Clason encourages everyone interested in the effort to end underage drinking to check out parentsempowered.org.
“We want to see every Utah child reach their full potential. And studies show that in order for that to happen, they need to make sure that you know that their brain development, their brain growth is…negatively impacted by underage substance abuse and drinking,” Clason said.
Clason noted that building a strong parent or caregiver disapproval is the number one reason teens choose not to drink.
Amie Shaeffer contributed to this report.
- Utah one of the leading states for low levels of drunk driving
- “Mini-bottles” could return to Utah state liquor stores
- Utah alcohol sales exceed $500 million in 2022
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Three vehicle crash in Sanpete County leaves one dead
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Engineer who refused to approve Challenger launch dies in Ogden
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- UTA board looks at FrontRunner expansion in Utah County