CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
3 rappers have been missing for 10 days since their scheduled performance was canceled, Detroit police say
(CNN) — Multiple Michigan agencies are investigating what happened to three local rappers who went missing 10 days ago after a performance at a club was canceled, Detroit police said Monday.
Armani Kelly, 28, Dante Wicker, 31 and Montoya Givens, 31, who are all associates, were supposed to perform at a club in Detroit on January 21, according to Michael McGinnis, commander of major crimes.
“It’s our understanding that the performance got canceled, and from there — we just have a whole lot of unanswered questions that we are trying to find out,” McGinnis said. All of their phones “stopped having activity” by the early morning hours of January 22, McGinnis added.
“The mother of one of the victims, the next day, made a report of the missing person. That mother became very proactive in the investigation and started searching for her vehicle through OnStar,” McGinnis said.
The mom found the car in Warren, Michigan, McGinnis said, where authorities recovered the car on January 23. By January 27, information about Kelly’s disappearance was spreading throughout the media, McGinnis said.
“Once that happens, other family members of the other missings come to realize that that’s a friend of their loved ones and they haven’t seen them either, so then they both get reported missing,” McGinnis said.
“We want to find them and get them home to their loved ones,” he said. “Really think about the victims’ families in this case, they have no answers. They don’t know where their loved one is.
“We need help,” McGinnis said. “If somebody knows something, we’re asking please call and share that information with us.”
Kelly’s mother, Lorrie Kemp, told CNN affiliate WXYZ she has posted flyers all around Lansing, where Kelly grew up, in an attempt to find her son.
“I don’t want to be on ‘Dateline’ in 20 years to find his body,” she said.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Body found at 600N, I-15 Southbound
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy…
- Clearfield power and traffic alert
- Robbery at swap meet leaves one victim shaken up
- Full interlodge in effect for Alta and Snowbird ski area
- Winter-like temperatures sticking around
- Utah’s COVID-19 transmissions slowed but still present
- Woods Cross man charged for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- Salt Lake carjacking suspect dead, investigation continues
- What you can do about snow mold in your lawn