Suspect surrenders after hours-long SWAT standoff on Morgan Trout Farm
May 17, 2023, 10:08 AM | Updated: 2:41 pm
DAVIS COUNTY, Utah — A suspect involved in what officials described as an hours-long standoff between the Davis County SWAT team and a suspect has ended.
The Davis County Sheriff’s Office tweeted that the suspect surrendered to officials at the Morgan Trout Farm around 2 p.m. on Wednesday
The suspect surrendered peacefully just before 2 pm. US-89 is open.
— Davis County Sheriff’s Office (@DavisSheriffUT) May 17, 2023
Officials also reported that US-89 was open in both directions after being closed for much of Wednesday morning.
A SWAT team had been negotiating with an armed suspect since the early morning, after someone called them about possible domestic violence in a home near the Morgan Trout Farm in South Weber.
And using reverse 911 calls, police have asked nearby residents to voluntarily evacuate or to shelter in place.
By 10 a.m. on Wednesday, police said that 50 officers were near the farm trying to end the situation peacefully.
SWAT standoff in South Weber at the Morgan Trout Farm. Police say the suspect is a 30-year-old man who has fired shots since police arrived around 4 AM. People nearby are being asked to evacuate or shelter in place. Get the latest at @kslnewsradio pic.twitter.com/xn9LElXjLZ
— Adam Small (@AdamSmallKSL) May 17, 2023
It began around 4 a.m. when police said they got a call about someone firing shots inside a residence on the trout farm property.
Stephanie Dinsmore with the Davis County Sheriff’s Office said two people have made it safely out of the residence in question, and that negotiators have made contact with the suspect inside the home.
There is nobody else inside the home.
Dinsmore said that the suspect has fired several rounds, though she did not know if those rounds were fired at officers. No officers have been injured.
She said that officers have not returned fire.
This story will be updated.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Video: Sugar House man notices sinkhole of “unknown depth” in front yard, at a…
- #BACONTOPAYSON: Payson High students pushing to get Kevin Bacon to prom
- Lake Powell bounces back from record-low water levels
- Car leaves roadway in North Ogden, crashes onto residential property
- Man killed in West Valley crash was visiting elderly neighbor
- Popular trail bridge at Zion National Park closes
- Utah Highway Patrol warns of scam callers pretending to be troopers
- Why are hikers dying in Buckskin Gulch?
- Would you take a new rail line from SLC to Las Vegas, Boise or LA?
- Lori Daybell’s defense team files for new murder trial