WEST JORDAN – City leaders are reacting to concerns about one of the areas set aside for aerial fireworks. Some people have pointed out that the complex is close to an animal shelter.
A spokesperson for West Jordan says they wanted to see, first hand, what kind of reaction the animals at the city’s animal shelter would have when people set off aerial fireworks at the Ron Wood Baseball Complex. They claim the animals showed practically no reaction at all. However, they say they’ll have swamp coolers running to drown out some of the noise.
If there were to be just a couple of animals reacting negatively to the fireworks, the anxiety could spread to the rest of the shelter. Humane Society Development Director Jamie Usry says, “Dogs and cats definitely experience, sense and smell the anxiety coming off of other animals, especially in a shelter environment.”
White noise from machines like swamp coolers can be helpful, but, “If they could turn some radios on, too, and play some music,” Usry says, that would be better.
Plus, distraction could be extremely helpful for the animals inside. “Provide some frozen Kongs with wet food in them that will keep the dogs busy at that time. Provide the cats with some wet food to give them some comfort and keep them busy,” she says. Usry adds that eating these frozen treats can keep dogs occupied for hours, and they won’t be focusing on the noise or the vibrations from the explosions.
Today’s Top Stories
- Concealed firearm permit applications drop after new Utah law takes effect
- Murder victim’s family demands ‘Justicia para Gaby,’ calls on suspect to surrender
- New record in supply chain crunch as 100 cargo ships wait to unload
- Woods Cross man charged with child abuse during a game of broom hockey
- Utah trucking companies feel strain from country’s supply chain problem
- Fatal accident in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- ABC News: The FDA may soon allow vaccine mixing as booster shots
- Utah labor shortage: Why employees are quitting and where they’re going
- Gov. Cox signs bill dropping permit requirement for concealed carry
- Disney announces delay in Marvel movies including Doctor Strange, Thor, and other films