Gang involved in shootout may be involved in crime spree
SALT LAKE CITY – A group of teens wanted for reportedly starting a shootout on the city’s west side might be linked to a crime spree in that area.
The shooting happened near 900 North Redwood Road where police say a group of Hispanic teens approached a licensed gun owner and opened fire on him with a shotgun. Detective Greg Wilking says, “In essence, we had shots exchanged between the two vehicles.” The victim isn’t believed to be a gang member, and Wilking thinks he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Investigators say the description of this group and of the weapon used match the details of other crimes in the area. “[There were] attempted robberies, robberies and actually another shooting,” Wilking says. The two victims in the other shooting received minor injuries.
He says they hope the public can help them find and arrest the members of this gang, whose behavior is apparently getting more violent. Wilking says, “What we’re concerned about is that this activity is ramping up. These individuals are out there and engaging with people and bringing this weapon out.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- Speeches, silence, during Pro-Life Utah memorial at the Capitol
- Get Ready for Fun at the 2023 Bear Lake Monster Winterfest
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- Salt Lake City traffic stop leads to drug bust, illegal gun recovered
- Utah safety officials, NAACP, react to death of Tyre Nichols
- Empowering Latina moms to find a place in STEM, despite barriers