Gang involved in shootout may be involved in crime spree
SALT LAKE CITY – A group of teens wanted for reportedly starting a shootout on the city’s west side might be linked to a crime spree in that area.
The shooting happened near 900 North Redwood Road where police say a group of Hispanic teens approached a licensed gun owner and opened fire on him with a shotgun. Detective Greg Wilking says, “In essence, we had shots exchanged between the two vehicles.” The victim isn’t believed to be a gang member, and Wilking thinks he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Investigators say the description of this group and of the weapon used match the details of other crimes in the area. “[There were] attempted robberies, robberies and actually another shooting,” Wilking says. The two victims in the other shooting received minor injuries.
He says they hope the public can help them find and arrest the members of this gang, whose behavior is apparently getting more violent. Wilking says, “What we’re concerned about is that this activity is ramping up. These individuals are out there and engaging with people and bringing this weapon out.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Two autistic brothers with ties to Utah drown off Hawaii coast
- 300 W., North Temple intersection closed after crash involving UTA bus
- Utah Lake restoration called “unconstitutional” by state agency
- Suspicious package at Intermountain Layton Hospital removed, detonated
- Part of a foot, in a shoe, spotted in Yellowstone hot spring
- July’s unemployment remains steady
- What the bishops knew: Church releases details, timeline about Arizona sex abuse case
- ‘Multiple casualties’ reported after two planes collide over California airport,…
- Records set for 100 degree days in SLC and flash flood warnings statewide
- Taylorsville police release details on suspected murder-suicide