Real Salt Lake play to 1-1 draw with Sporting Kansas City
KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) — Ike Opara scored the tying goal in the 52nd minute and Sporting Kansas City played Real Salt Lake to a 1-1 draw Sunday.
Sporting K.C, (15-8-7) is two points behind first-place FC Dallas in the Western Conference. Real Salt Lake (13-11-7) sits two points shy of fourth-place Portland — with the teams facing off twice in the final three regular-season games.
Opara scored his third goal of the season on a leaping header of Johnny Russell’s corner kick.
Corey Baird gave RSL the lead in the ninth minute. He ran past the defense for Jefferson Savarino’s through ball and scored his first goal in over a month.
RSL goalkeeper Nick Rimando came out of his area to deny a breakaway attempt in the 81st and he made a kick save of Diego Rubio’s open shot in the 87th.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/tag/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Three vehicle crash in Sanpete County leaves one dead
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- More protests today after release of video depicting the deadly police beating of Tyre Nichols
- Salt Lake City traffic stop leads to drug bust, illegal gun recovered