Independence High School
At the beginning of a new year, many of us refocus on health, fitness, and positive activities. It’s especially important to keep youth active and engaged in the winter-time. Independence High School in Provo is an alternative school that promotes healthy living by providing an after-school athletic program in a safe environment. It supports the physical, emotional, and academic needs of its students.
Independence High School’s Athletic Program focuses on providing team sports and physical activity; nutrition; and teaching teamwork, communication skills, and sportsmanship to reduce bullying.
At Independence High School the graduation rate is only 33 percent. One proven solution for increasing this and improving academic performance is participation in extracurricular activities. Their program encourages students to progress toward graduation, since regular class attendance and academic achievement is required. Coaches and teammates create a network of support that empowers students to excel in school and prepare for college.
SelectHealth recognizes the innovative education provided by Independence High School as another example of how Utah Gives Back.
Today’s Top Stories
- When it’s this cold, keep your pipes from freezing. Here’s how.
- Monday morning’s cold temperatures nearly set new records
- Suspect still at large after double homicide in Taylorsville
- Police investigating a fatal auto-pedestrian crash in Salt Lake City
- South Jordan could see new housing development
- The road home is in need of donations and volunteers this winter
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Why is there an increase of wildlife in SLC neighborhoods?
- Citing ‘dangerously low’ overnight temps, county opens emergency shelter