Reach Out and Read
Less than half of young children in the U.S. are read to daily. Families living in poverty often lack the money to buy new books or have limited access to libraries. Parents who weren’t read to as children themselves may not realize the value of reading to their own children.
Reach Out and Read is a nonprofit organization that gives young children a foundation for success by incorporating books into pediatric care, and encouraging families to read aloud together. Parents trust and value the advice they receive from their children’s medical provider. Reach Out and Read is unique in partnering with the children’s first medical provider at their well-child visit to promote literacy. More than 61,000 books are distributed annually this way.
Reach Out and Read serves nearly 39,000 Utah children and their families each year. They are helping families read together more often, and these children enter kindergarten with larger vocabularies and stronger language skills. Early language skills help start children on a path of success when they enter school.
SelectHealth recognizes the literacy promotion from Reach Out and Read as another example of how Utah Gives Back.
Today’s Top Stories
- Father of girl who died in Kaysville parade is thankful for those who helped
- Those who practice intermittent fasting less likely to have severe COVID complications,…
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- Family of Zane James speaks out after settlement reached with Cottonwood Heights
- Anonymous man pays 12-person dinner bill at Bandit’s Grill and Bar
- UDOT makes changes to traffic study after feedback
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- Highland Drive open after closing for hours due to fatal crash involving Coke truck