SALT LAKE CITY — On the list of the most popular cars in each state, Utah’s favorite isn’t a car at all. It’s a truck.
In the past, Utah, a solid red state, had something in common with blue states like Washington and California. The most popular car in the three states last year was the Honda Civic. It was the most popular ride last year in Idaho, too, according to Insurify.
The Civic and Honda Accord remain the hottest models in 17 out of 50 states, according to Insurify. But the Nissan Altima gained ground and looked to be the ride of choice for Southerners in 2020.
Most popular cars? Make that most popular truck
But somebody or something hit the brakes in 2021. The whole Mountain West, almost all of the Midwest, the South and Alaska changed gears and got behind the wheel of a Ford F-series pickup as the most popular ride.
No surprise, either. For 39 years straight, the Ford F-Series has been the best-selling vehicle in the U.S.
According to Edmunds, the top five best-selling vehicles in Utah in 2020 were:
- Ford F-Series
- Ram 1500/2500/3500
- Chevrolet Silverado
- Toyota RAV4
- Toyota Tacoma
Top 10 most popular cars in US in 2020, according to Insurify:
- Nissan Altima
- Honda Accord
- Chevrolet Malibu
- Honda Civic
- Chevrolet Impala
- Ford Focus
- Toyota Corolla
- Ford Explorer
- Subaru Impreza
- Toyota RAV4 (technically SUV)
From the Nissan Sentra to the — you guessed it — Ford F-series pickup, Car and Driver ranks the Top 25 best-selling cars, trucks and SUVs of 2021, so far.
And the Car and Driver national rankings from 2020.
Oddity: Only two states favor SUVs over sedans. Alaska and Wyoming prefer the Toyota RAV4 and the Ford Explorer, respectively, over all sedans.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Teen who died after ATV side-by-side accident is identified
- Utah Governor Spencer Cox joins call to end enhanced unemployment
- Park City mom Jenn Drummond eyes Everest Summit as training run for ‘Second Seven’
- Business owners concerned about drug use, violence around North Temple
- Found a dryer sheet in your mailbox? It’s probably your mail carrier
- Salt Lake City officials say improvements to North Temple homeless camps may be slow, but…
- State workers in Utah expected back in their offices May 31st
- Utah AG, others leery of ‘Instagram for kids’ proposal
- Utah won’t see a spike in gas prices after major US fuel pipeline shutdown, says AAA Utah
- Alpine School District moves Board meeting over safety concerns