Utah warm-weather records could melt for last day of April
SALT LAKE CITY — The weekend is going to be the warmest of the year, so far. Some places around Utah might reach or tie their warm-weather records.
April had windy days, chilly weather and rainy days. But it is leaving with an expected high of 83 degrees for northern Utah. This will be the first time this year it reaches the 80s. In St. George, temps could reach the 90s for the first time in 2021.
“Warmest day of the year today for most places across the state,” said KSL Meteorologist Grant Weyman.
Weyman said these expected temperatures are around 10 degrees above seasonal average. The first 80-degree day appears on May 3rd, on average.
First 80? First 90? Here you go… pic.twitter.com/JrbBlELqwg
— Grant Weyman (@KSLweyman) April 29, 2021
And Saturday (May 1) could also be as warm.
The National Weather Service expects some places to start warming up, including Alta, Bryce Canyon, Ogden and Zion National Park.
Near-record warmth expected Friday and Saturday. Some places we think have the best chance of breaking or tying their records include Alta, @BryceCanyonNPS, Ogden and @ZionNPS. No matter the exact temperature, make sure to drink plenty of water and take breaks in the shade. #utwx pic.twitter.com/qdDk3NxEVq
— NWS Salt Lake City (@NWSSaltLakeCity) April 29, 2021
The NWS Salt Lake Office said if you want to go hiking Friday or Saturday or even just play outside, drink plenty of water and take breaks in the shade. Weyman agrees.
“Tomorrow is like a summer day, no matter where you are going,” he said.
He suggested going hiking earlier in the day before it heats up.
On Sunday, a storm system will move through with a chance of rain showers. Temps drop back down to springlike weather for a few days.
“Still, pretty nice though, especially in the southern part of the state. But the Uintahs could get some snow. So if you are planning a high elevation hike Sunday, keep that in mind,” said Weyman.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah business Lions Not Sheep responds to FTC fraud claims
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- Video shows chaotic scene of American Fork buglary suspect fleeing Walmart parking lot,…
- Sportsmanship exemplified in grace of Little League batter
- UTA releases video of the moments before woman was hit by FrontRunner
- Flash flood warning issued for Tooele County, lightning strikes houses
- Wall Street Journal: Informant tipped off investigators about more documents at Mar-a-Lago
- Utah’s Hogle Zoo expanding east side with an all-Utah species exhibit
- Utah reaction to the FBI search of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate
- Ogden man in jail after allegedly shaking 8-week-old baby