Salt Lake County woman killed in a Summit County hunting accident
SUMMIT COUNTY, Utah — The Summit County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a hunting accident Monday morning that claimed the life of a 58-year-old woman from Salt Lake County.
According to authorities, a family had gone to the northeastern part of Summit County to hunt elk on the last day of the hunt.
The family was actively hunting elk and were using snow machinery in their efforts.
Authorities say, a call came in at 11:01 a.m. of a firearm discharge. The 58-year-old woman, who was part of the group, was in an ATV side-by-side when the firearm discharged. It hit her in the middle area of her body. The victim passed away from her injuries on scene.
The Summit County Sheriff’s Office says this appears to be a hunting accident, although the investigation into the incident is still ongoing.
Authorities were notified of the incident by a family member, who had to leave the area to find cell service to call 911. Police say that the family is cooperating with the investigation.
The Summit County Sheriff’s Office says the victim had passed away before emergency personnel could get on scene.
The incident occurred right off of I-80 near milepost 178, roughly a mile south of I-80.
- Snowmobiler dies in Summit County after slide down steep hill
- Busy weekend for Summit County Search and Rescue
- Summit County car crash claims one life, produces drug bust
Today’s Top Stories
- Boy dies after falling from slide at Rose Springs Elementary School
- Man’s arm partially amputated by farm equipment Tuesday afternoon
- Brigham City Police locate missing teenager
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Possible changes to schools could be coming in Salt Lake City School District
- Looking for a New Winter Activity? Try Skijoring in Bear Lake
- Utah Corrections offers more details on recent assaults against officers
- Bill introduced to keep teacher salary increases on pace with inflation
- Utah delegation’s reaction to Biden’s State of the Union Address
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high