Second suspect arrested in Salt Palace murder
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City Police Department has announced the arrest of a second suspect related to the murder of 41-year-old Deliford Knight near the Salt Palace Convention Center over the weekend. The SLCPD arrested the first suspect, 22-year-old Deng Buk, on Saturday night.
In a press release, the SLCPD said officers arrested the suspect, Joshua Riak, after a traffic stop near Modesto Park in Salt Lake City.
Police believe Riak and Buk aided and abetted an 18-year-old, Nogolweit “Nunu” Kug, in shooting Knight last Saturday.
The SLCPD previously said Knight had been visiting Salt Lake from Florida to attend a sneaker convention with friends. Police believe Knight and his friends engaged in betting matches during conventions to make money off of people.
Police think one of the suspects became angry with Knight after losing money to him. The three suspects followed Knight onto West Temple and assaulted him to try to get back the money.
The SLCPD believe Kug then pulled out a gun and shot Knight as Riak and Buk watched. The police also believe Kug robbed Knight before he, Riak and Buk left the area.
Kug has not yet been arrested. Police think he could have left Utah, but do not know his location.
Kug is considered armed and dangerous, anyone with information on his whereabouts is advised to call 911. The SLCPD provided the photo below of Kug.
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- Engineer who refused to approve Challenger launch dies in Ogden
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Three vehicle crash in Sanpete County leaves one dead
- More protests today after release of video depicting the deadly police beating of Tyre Nichols
- Salt Lake City traffic stop leads to drug bust, illegal gun recovered