CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Manhunt for 14-year-old suspect in fatal weekend shooting ends with arrest
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City Police Department’s Homicide Squad took a 14-year-old suspect into custody Monday afternoon.
Police say the juvenile was taken into custody around 3:30 p.m. Detectives developed information about the suspect, leading them to the area of 300 E. 700 South. With the assistance of the SWAT team, the suspect was safely taken into custody.
The suspect is accused of fatally shooting a 17-year-old male on Feb. 11 near 1601 West Ivy Circle.
According to a SLCPD press release, 911 received a call Saturday night at 8:19 p.m.
When officers arrived at the scene, they found a 17-year-old male with a critical gunshot wound.
The Salt Lake City Fire Department and Gold Cross Ambulance transported the victim to the hospital where he later died.
Police searched the immediate and surrounding neighborhoods for the 14-year-old but were unable to locate him. Detectives believe this is an isolated incident between juvenile and the victim.
Additionally, police had warned the suspect should be considered armed and dangerous.
Police urge anyone with additional information to call 801-799-3000 and reference case number 23-30287.
Related: SLCPD investigating two separate shootings from same night, one fatal
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Rivers Council selling discounted rain barrels as effort toward water conservation
- Possible clothing thief at Brigham Young University
- 16-year-old dead, 2 other teens injured in fatal crash in Juab County
- Bruce Willis’ wife Emma Heming marks his birthday with moving message about grief
- Open house for Richmond Virginia Temple begins this week
- D2 gets to the bottom of the impending arrest of former President Trump
- Why a Trump indictment would have huge political and national implications
- When is the right age to retire?
- Semi hits car on I-15 in Kaysville, one person taken to hospital
- Suspect dead, officer injured after shootout in Springville