The last time BYU played Texas Tech, it was WW2
Oct 20, 2023, 1:39 PM
Provo— The last time BYU and Texas Tech played against each other, there was a world war in Europe.
Their first, and only, game between the Cougars and Red Raiders took place on Oct. 18, 1940. One year into World War II and the beginning of several familiar animated characters and movies.
World events the last time BYU played Texas Tech:
- Germany, Italy, and Japan signed an alliance to form the Axis Powers
- Hundreds of thousands of British troops fled from Dunkirk, France
- Winston Churchill gave his “Finest Hour” speech
- German forces bombed London multiple times
- The Warsaw Ghetto is established and closed to the outside world
- The animated short, “A Wild Hare” is released, introducing the character Bugs Bunny for the first time
- Disney’s second and third full-length films, Pinocchio and Fantasia, premiere in theaters
- FM broadcasting (FM radio) was demonstrated to the Federal Communications Commission for the first time
- Minimum wage laws and 44-hour work weeks were established
- Martin Kamen and Sam Ruben discover carbon-14
- Franklin D. Roosevelt was about to be re-elected as president for the third time
- The Green Bay Packers became the first NFL team to travel to a game by plane
- LaVell Edwards had just turned 10 years old
The Red Raiders beat the Cougars during their first match, 21-20.
It’s now been 83 years, and BYU will face Texas Tech at Lavell Edwards Stadium in Provo on Saturday. If BYU is able to triumph in this game, it will be their first win against the Lubbock-based university and BYU’s first success against a legacy Big 12 program since joining the conference.
Kickoff begins at 5 p.m., with full pre-game coverage starting at 3 p.m. on KSL NewsRadio, 102.7 FM and 1160 AM. Your home for the Cougars.