Utah law enforcement’s game plan for Super Bowl weekend
Feb 8, 2024, 3:53 PM
(Scott G. Winterton /Deseret News)
SALT LAKE— Law enforcement has a winning game plan this Super Bowl weekend to discourage impaired driving on Utah’s roads.
The safety game plan
Namely, the Utah Department of Public Safety and Utah Highway Patrol are playing offense, putting more officers on the roads to watch the roads.
“In addition to the regular shifts that each of the agencies will have out there, there will be 24 agencies across the state working an additional 75 shifts,” said Sgt. Cameron Roden with the Utah Highway Patrol.
“You will see an increased law enforcement presence.”
They hope the increased police presence will prevent Utahns from driving under the influence. The goal is to spend Super Bowl Sunday as a fan instead of a statistic.
“We just want to make sure that everyone gets home safely. So that the great time that people have watching the big game doesn’t end in some type of a tragedy or a statistic where someone ends up being involved in a serious crash or being arrested for impaired driving,” said Sgt. Roden.
They’re also encouraging people to take a minute before kickoff to create a game plan to get home safely.
“That way that decision isn’t left until the last minute when someone’s judgment is already impaired,” he said.
There are many different options for getting home safely. These include having a designated driver or using rideshare services.
Other ways to keep players safe
UHP and DPS also invite everyone to join them in keeping the roads safe by:
- having a pre-game plan that includes a safe ride home before the start of the game,
- preventing friends, family, or strangers who are impaired from getting behind the wheel,
- reaching out to UHP if you see someone on the roads who appears to be impaired,
- not driving if you already drank (impairment starts with the first drink),
- using Utah’s ride-share and taxi companies, and
- always wearing a seatbelt, the best defense against impaired drivers.
No matter who wins Sunday’s game, the real winners are those who make it home safely.