DRAPER – Police are searching for a suspect behind a violent attack in Draper. Investigators say a man tried to sexually assault a woman, but she was able to get away.
The victim was running along the Porter Rockwell Trail Thursday night when the suspect reportedly came up from behind, grabbed her and tried to take her clothes off.
Draper Police Sergeant Scott Adams says, “She was able to fight the suspect off. She used pepper spray.”
The suspect ran away, so, the victim wasn’t able to get a good look at him. The only physical description they have of him is that he’s a large man who was wearing dark clothing. However, Adams says people may have seen a man in the area who looked like he was in pain from the spray.
“It’s going to look like you’ve been spray with something. Your clothing will be wet. Your face will be red. Your eyes will be swollen. You’d be coughing and your nose would be runny,” Adams says.
The effects of pepper spray can last a while, Adams says.
“[They can last] anywhere from 15 minutes to a couple of hours. Different products cause different reactions,” according to him.
Police are trying to determine if this attack is connected to others that have been reported in the city. In the meantime, officers are telling everyone to take extra safety measures if they plan to use the trail. Adams says pepper spray is an extremely effective tool, but, people need to know how to use it.
“Make sure it’s in a place you can access it and be able to use it, like, not carrying it in your pocket as you’re running on the trail. Those are set up to be carried in the palm of your hand,” he says.
- Celebrities rally to send Quaden Bayles to Disneyland after bullying video goes viral (pageviews: 2162)
- Gym trainer arrested for recording females in changing room (pageviews: 2153)
- Site of Mackenzie Lueck murder up for sale... described as what? (pageviews: 1519)
- Mom of 2 missing Idaho children arrested in Hawaii (pageviews: 1300)
- Police: Body found in pipe near Target in Salt Lake (pageviews: 1270)
- BYU, other church universities update student honor code (pageviews: 748)
- Bloomberg to Utah: President Trump won last night's Democratic debate (pageviews: 693)