Police arrest 37 students after hours at Corner Canyon High School
DRAPER, Utah — Draper police arrested 37 juveniles last weekend who were alone during an after hours gathering at Corner Canyon High School — a problem the school district says has been happening for years.
Canyons School District Spokesman Jeff Haney said now they’re cracking down on these gatherings by changing trespassing hours and installing new security gates.
“[It’s] $25,000 to install the gates to restrict access to the campus,” Haney said. “And this is a direct result of all of the activity that has been happening.”
Corner Canyon arrest comes after years of disruption
Haney said they’ve received several complaints from neighbors over the years and the partying was “quite the problem.”
“We’ve seen drag racing there, we’ve had fireworks and other explosive devises be ignited after hours, we’ve had loud music after hours,” he said.
Haney said they have been working with Draper police for a while, putting unmarked police officers and extra security at the school but none of the measures seemed to keep the groups away. Now they’re stepping up their efforts.
“As you can see from the police efforts this weekend, youths from all over the state are congregating at the high school and it causes quite a problem,” he said.
Draper police post about arrest
Draper police posted to Facebook about the arrest at Corner Canyon High School.
We ask the community to be aware of persistent issues our department has been responding to after hours at Corner Canyon…
Haney also urged parents to talk to their teens about not gathering at the school.
Today’s Top Stories
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- Thousands of dead fish are washing up along a California river. It’s because of a…
- President Joe Biden officially cleared to emerge from isolation following rebound Covid-19 case
- Low water levels at Utah Lake cause restrictions for Daybreak
- UPDATE: Flooding, road closures, and power outages in SLC
- Utah company, Lions Not Sheep ordered to cease “made in USA” claims
- UPDATE: Flood advisory for portions of Salt Lake Valley and Davis County
- The mysterious companies behind Costco’s Kirkland Signature and Trader Joe’s O’s
- Utah Highway Patrol responds to head-on crash on U.S Highway 6
- Top scientist admits ‘space telescope image’ was actually a slice of chorizo