TOOELE COUNTY, Utah — A small plane crash that killed two people Thursday is also responsible for sparking the Morgan Canyon Fire in Tooele County. It is believed the victims of that crash are a woman and her 6-year-old granddaughter.
Officials with the Morgan Canyon Fire say the medical examiner is still working on autopsies and said they could not confirm the victims’ identities yet.
But Alexandra Seigel wrote in a Facebook post that her daughter six-year-old daughter, Elise, and her mother, Virginia died Thursday in a plane crash.
A post from Saturday says the two were killed around 11:30 p.m. Thursday night.
The Morgan Canyon Fire between Grantsville and Rush Valley was sparked by a small plane crash. Officials working on that fire said Monday they’re having a hard time getting it put out.
“We still have had people on it from day one trying to put it out but the terrain has been very, very limiting to our access and our ability to suppress this fire,” Fire Spokeswoman Sierra Hellstrom told KSL Newsradio.
Hellstrom said crews are having to battle falling rocks, dry debris, and wilderness conditions to try and access it.
“Where it’s currently at up in the wilderness is nearly impossible to access for firefighting activity,” she said.
She said crews will be putting an indirect line out in front of the fire, as well as calling in more equipment and extra crews to try and get extra fuel breaks.
“Our biggest issue we’re running with this fire is finding defensible land in which to fight this fire. ”
As of Monday afternoon, it had burned 157 acres.
Today’s Top Stories
- A two-vehicle accident in northern Utah claims one life
- Fire burning at old Diamond Lil’s, set for destruction on Sunday
- Instagram user says she saw Petito and Laundrie in Wyoming restaurant
- Board of Education to investigate Cline post on Racial Healing Group
- Utah Jazz require COVID-19 vaccine or negative test for fans, new rule sparks heated reaction
- Police say witness beat up minister for inappropriately touching a child at an OK bus stop
- Utah Jazz add Holly Rowe to TV broadcast team
- Utah man has sights on a record-breaking pumpkin
- Boyfriend of slain Gabby Petito charged with bank card fraud
- Mental health magnet being mailed to Alpine District parents