CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
Feb 5, 2023, 7:00 PM
(Jeffrey D. Allred/Deseret News)
SANDY, Utah — A backcountry skier is dead after “tumbling a significant distance,” according to the Unified Police Department.
Ken Hansen with UPD says the incident occurred near Lisa Falls in Little Cottonwood Canyon at around 1 p.m. on Saturday.
After falling a “significant distance,” Hansen says, the male skier came to a stop at the base of the mountain.
Following this, other skiers in the area performed CPR. According to Hansen, search and rescue and UPD Canyons also responded to the scene and performed life-saving measures. They were unsuccessful
Following this, the backcountry skier was hoisted out of Little Cottonwood Canyon by a Life Flight helicopter.
- One skier injured in avalanche in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Man in extremely critical condition following motorcycle accident in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Skier dies at private resort in Peterson
- Intermountain Healthcare hosts mountain safety events to keep Utah skiers and sledders out of the ER
- Skier found dead at Deer Valley ski resort
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- Sandy police and fire respond to near drowning of infant
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Two injured when semi-truck crashes through garages of complex, hits propane tank
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- May’s warm temperatures break record in Salt Lake City
- Wildlife officials trying to trap bear after it approached a tent above Bountiful
- Davis schools remove Bible from certain school shelves