CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Woman dies after being allegedly locked in storage unit that caught fire
MURRAY, Utah — A woman is dead after her boyfriend allegedly locked her in a storage unit, which later caught fire.
Murray Fire and Murray Police Department responded to a fatal structure fire in a storage unit Saturday.
According to a probable cause statement, the suspect, 30-year-old Alexander Wardell, told police that his girlfriend was in the unit when he closed the door. He then put a lock on the door before leaving on foot. The unit later caught on fire with his girlfriend inside unable to escape.
The storage unit door remained closed until firefighters were able to get it open, according to the statement.
Due to the lock on the door, Wardell is being charged with negligent homicide. Along with this, he is also being charged with kidnapping.
At this time, police have not shared the cause of the fire.
Wardell is currently being held at the Salt Lake County Jail without bail.
If you or someone you know is in an abusive relationship there is help available here in Utah and nationwide.
- YWCA’s Women in Jeopardy program: 801-537-8600
- Utah statewide Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-897-LINK (5465) and udvc.org
- 24-hour Salt Lake victim advocate hotline: 801-580-7969
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-7233
- Woman sets herself on fire in Salt Lake City
- House fire in Springville claims the life of a 79-year-old man
- One person is dead after auto-pedestrian accident in Murray
- One person injured, suspects being sought after rolling shootout in Murray
- Emergency crews respond to apartment fire in Murray.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- A third person has died after a multi-car crash in Box Elder
- Nashville school shooter had drawn maps, done surveillance
- Lake effect snow causes school delays, remote learning in northern Utah
- Man suing Gwyneth Paltrow for $300,000+ to testify in Utah ski crash trial
- Wrong way driver leads to fatal crash in Weber County
- Monday morning commute could be affected by additional inches of snow
- Sandy Police officer involved in fatal shooting
- Salt Lake County Animal Services looking for a home for Amy Swinehouse
- What vital signs will show us that the Great Salt Lake is improving?