New Delta pilot training facility coming to SLC
Jun 29, 2023, 6:00 PM
(Aimee Cobabe/KSL NewsRadio)
SALT LAKE CITY — Delta Air Lines is breaking ground on a new pilot training facility just west of the airport.
It’s just a dry dusty field right now, but soon it will house several flight simulators where thousands of pilots will come periodically to train. Delta already has one of these in Atlanta, Georgia, where its main hub is. This will be the air line’s first training facility anywhere else.
Brad Sheehan is in charge of Delta’s flight training and standards.
“So, this facility will serve both those pilots that live west of the Mississippi and not having to travel all the way to Atlanta,” he says. “Also, it does prepare us for future growth.”
Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall also says she’s looking forward to what that future growth will mean for the city.
“It’s one part, it’s an exciting part, of where we are going as a city,” she says.
Construction is expected to wrap up in 2025.
- Delta to begin paying flight attendants during boarding
- SLC will continue to be hub for Delta for another 20 years; airline to offer free Wi-Fi
- Delta Airlines flight experiences turbulence, injuring three passengers
- Delta pilots picketing in Salt Lake City and across the country
- Plane makes emergency landing in West Jordan, no injuries reported